There is legislation that needs to be adhered to for cattle registration purposes before moving cattle onto your holding.
- Firstly you must obtain a County Parish Holding number (CPH) which is a unique identifier of your land used for traceability – this is used to record when livestock moves on and off your land. You register your holding with the Rural Payments and Inspections Division (RPID) They will in return give you a CPH number.
- You then need to obtain a herd mark for your holding which is required to purchase cattle tags. Cattle registration to receive your herd mark is available from local Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) office.
- You also need to inform the British Cattle Movement Service (BCMS) before moving cattle onto your holding. They record your details on the Cattle Tracing System (CTS).
Cattle Registration – BCMS
The British Cattle Movement Service (BCMS) is part of the Rural Payments Agency (RPA) is responsible for maintaining all cattle registration, movements and traceability, with the cattle tracing system on behalf of England, Scotland and Wales.
- The BCMS is responsible for cattle registrations at birth, death registration and imports of cattle. This information needs to be maintained for traceability for cattle health, disease control and farm subsidy control.
- Issuing cattle passports
- Recording movements so all cattle are traceable
Cattle Registration – CTS
The Cattle Tracing System is run by the British Cattle Movement Service (BCMS) to introduce a computerised livestock tracing system inline with EU legislation. The CTS system allows data to be recorded to trace all cattle births, deaths and movements to proactively control disease.
The Cattle Tracing System (CTS)
- Cattle Tagging
- Cattle Registration (cattle passports)
- Farm Registers (including movement reporting)
- National Database (CTS operated by BCMS)
CTS records the :
- Identification, births and deaths of all cattle
- Movements of cattle issued with passports from the 28th September 1998
- Movements of older cattle since 29th January 2001
CTS makes it possible for to :
- Transparency on animals present on a holding
- Record all cattle movements during their lifetime
- Trace cattle more easily in the event of a disease outbreak
- Give cattle buyers clear heritage of an animal
- Strengthen consumer confidence in beef
Cattle breeders are also able to check information held about their cattle on CTS through the CTS Online Website
Agrismart provides aimed at providing an ROI of around 36 months. Agrismart’s water solution is over 75% self-sustainable. Providing an alternative source of water to mains incorporating rainwater harvesting, low energy pumps, water treatment, water storage and water system installation. Providing your agricultural business with a complete agricultural water management solution and alternative to mains water.
Investing in water treatment for your agricultural business increases yields and reduces mortality. Bacterial infection can build up in water tanks, pipework, and water troughs, leading to poor water quality, a prevalence of disease and also affects milk and meat production.